Year in, year out, people reel out new-year resolutions; how many of these relate to healthy living? The AUN Clinic suggested the following six tips, which are by no means exhaustive:
- Do exercise regularly: Doing exercise regularly helps the human body to function optimally. It enhances digestion process and helps to have sound sleep. An hour of exercise 3-4 days a week can reduce the risk of many disease conditions and control diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Healthy Food: Eating a healthy and balanced diet three times a day is essential for optimal body function. Balanced diet should have carbohydrate, protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals in balanced quantities. Including fruits and vegetables in the diet helps to keep fit and healthy.
- Carbonated drinks: Avoid or reduce intake of sodas and artificial juices. They contain a high amount of sugar which may lead to diabetes. Carbonated drinks provide excessive calories which are not needed for the body. Increasing water intake and fresh juices is ideal for better health.
- Worries and reduce stress: We should know how to manage our stress and worries. Many studies have proven that continued worries and increased stress level can induce diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, ulcer, and heart diseases.
- Smoking and Alcohol: Avoiding smoking or excessive alcohol usage can save your life. Smoking can result in deadly cancer diseases. Heavy alcohol intake may affect gastric system, kidneys, and liver.
- Health center: Visiting your doctor at least once a year for a check-up is very important. Many of us see our doctors when we are seriously ill. Regular check-up helps to prevent and control many deadly diseases. By Philip Eappen, Acting Director, AUN Clinic