Department: School of Business and Entrepreneurship
Reports to: Dean, SBE
SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position will be charged with the responsibility of teaching both required and elective marketing courses in our undergraduate and graduate programs. Areas of teaching emphasis include marketing principles, strategic management, service marketing, market research, pricing strategy, retail, advertising, international business, marketing technologies (social media etc.) and analytics, digital and e-Commerce, and customer relationship management. Opportunities are also available in General Management, Strategy, Research Methodology and Quantitative Analysis. Additionally, s/he must be able to engage students within and beyond the walls of the traditional classroom and also be familiar or comfortable using SPSS and/or other market research tools and technologies in the classroom in accordance with the university’s policy and procedure.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course contract
- Evaluate and select texts and instructional materials; prepare course materials and lesson plans
- Provide students an approved syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, attendance policies in line with those of the School, texts and readings, assignments and deliverables, timelines and evaluation criteria
- Use the established learning management system to post syllabus, assignments and other materials and to communicate with students
- Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles and provide interesting and engaging assignments that demonstrate the real-world applications of concepts covered
- Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions or examinations; provide feedback in a timely manner on student progress
- Be available for student consultation through office hours or scheduled appointments or by phone or email
- Maintain records of enrolment and attendance, assessments and grades, submit class rosters and grade sheets by established deadlines
- Encourage students to submit course evaluations, review course evaluations when available and use feedback to improve course delivery
- Revise and update course content as needed.
- Meet with the Dean or Program Chair as needed to discuss all aspects of the course including student progress and curriculum development (may be required to provide input into program development)
- Submit an annual performance review
Education and Experience Required
- PhD in Marketing, International Business, or Management
- Significant (at least 5 years) documented marketing experience in business a huge plus
- Prior teaching experience in a graduate and undergraduate programs, and experience in corporate training
- Ability and experience teaching across disciplines (e.g. sales management, entrepreneurship, international development, social and women empowerment, etc.) is a plus
- Demonstrated strengths in marketing technologies and analytics, public policy would be a big plus
- Proven experience and success in teaching in a variety of delivery formats, including face-to-face, online, and blended technologies is preferred.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Current knowledge of the relevant discipline
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching adult learners
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and mentoring students
- Ability to respond to the needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment
- Ability to deliver course outcomes and content through a variety of teaching/learning styles
- Ability to use technology effectively in teaching
- Respect for students and a genuine interest in their learning
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Good organizational skills and timeliness in responding to student inquiries
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with students and colleagues
- Communicate orally and in writing to exchange information
- Operate computers and other office equipment and technology
The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
The goal of AUN is to train the future leaders of Africa and to serve as both a stimulus and agent of economic development throughout the region.
To that end, all students, regardless of academic specialization, will receive high-level training in information technology, entrepreneurship and in arts and sciences, all of which are the key to future sustainable development. AUN is committed to providing the skills and the leadership essential to advancing the continent's pressing social and economic challenges.
For more information about AUN and the School of Business and Entrepreneurship please visit: www.aun.edu.ng
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION