Dr. Narasimha Rao Vajjhala is an Associate Professor and the Chair of the Information Systems department at the School of IT & Computing at the American University of Nigeria. He had previously served as the Chair of the Computer Science and Software Engineering departments at the School of IT and Computing at the American University of Nigeria in Yola, Nigeria as well as the Chair of the Telecommunication and Network Engineering Department at the University of New York Tirana. He has a doctorate in Information Systems and Technology from the USA, an MBA in Information Systems from Switzerland, and a Masters’ degree in Computer Applications from India. He is a senior member of the Association for Computer Machinery (ACM) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
He is also an active member of the EC-Council, Association for Information Systems (AIS) and Project Management Institute (PMI). He has over 20 years of experience in teaching mainly programming and database-related courses at both graduate and undergraduate levels in Europe and Africa. He has also worked as a consultant in technology firms in Europe and has experience participating in an EU-funded project. He has supervised several undergraduate senior design projects and graduate theses.
He holds several professional certifications including Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), Certified Associate in Python Programming (PCAP), PRINCE2 Agile® Practitioner Certificate in Agile Project Management, Oracle Certified SQL Expert, Oracle Certified Associate (OCA), Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT), Sun Certified Java Professional (SJCP), Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD), Microsoft Certified Application Developer (MCAD), IBM Cyber Security Analyst, and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA). He has edited several peer-reviewed books, published monographs, peer-reviewed book chapters, refereed international conference proceedings, peer-reviewed journal articles, and review articles.
He has extensive experience teaching in highly diverse cultural environments. He is fluent in English (IELTS – 8.0 on a scale of 9.0).
He holds a certificate in Effective Online Tutoring from the Department of Continuing Education, Oxford University, United Kingdom and has taught several online courses for the University of Roehampton, London. He is also a certified eCommerce consultant, having completed this course from the College of Management and IT, Dublin, Ireland.
Information Systems Management
Online Consumer Behavior
Information Technology Risk Management
CIE 105 - Principles of Programming-I
CIE 106 - Principles of Programming-II
CIE 231 - Introduction to Databases, Web Technologies, and Applications
SEN 301 - Introduction to Software Engineering
SEN 416 - Software Architecture and Design
INF 924 - Ubiquitous Computing and Cyber Security
BOOKS – EDITED
Che, F., Strang, K.D., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2020). Opportunities and Strategic Use of Agribusiness Information Systems. IGI Publications. ISBN13: 9781799848493. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-4849-3. Link: https://www.igi-global.com/book/opportunities-strategic-use-agribusiness-information/244594
PEER-REVIEWED BOOK CHAPTERS
- Biba, M. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Machine Learning for Metabolic Networks Modelling: A State-of-the-Art Survey. Handbook of Machine Learning Applications for Genomics, Springer Nature. ISBN: 978-981-16-9157-7.
- Biba, M. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Statistical Relational Learning for Genomics Applications: A State-of-the-Art Review. Handbook of Machine Learning Applications for Genomics, Springer Nature. ISBN: 978-981-16-9157-7.
- Strang, K.D., Che, F., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Ideologies and Issues for Teaching Blockchain Cybersecurity in Management and Computer Science. In Daimi, K. & Guillermo A. F. (Eds.), Innovation in Cybersecurity Education. Springer Nature. ISBN: 978-3-030-50243-0. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-50244-7_7. Link: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-50244-7_7
- Vajjhala, N.R. (2020). Introduction to Agricultural Information Systems. Opportunities and Strategic Use of Agribusiness Information Systems. IGI Publications. ISBN13: 9781799848493. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-4849-3. Link: https://www.igi-global.com/book/opportunities-strategic-use-agribusiness-information/244594
- Potluri, R.M. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2020). Grounded Theory Study on Assessment of E-Readiness Challenges of Farmers and Extension Workers in North-East Nigeria. Opportunities and Strategic Use of Agribusiness Information Systems. IGI Publications. ISBN13: 9781799848493. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-4849-3. Link: https://www.igi-global.com/book/opportunities-strategic-use-agribusiness-information/244594
- Strang, K.D., Che, F., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2020). Agriculture Business Problems: Analysis of Research and Probable Solutions in Africa. Opportunities and Strategic Use of Agribusiness Information Systems. IGI Publications. ISBN13: 9781799848493. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-4849-3. Link: https://www.igi-global.com/book/opportunities-strategic-use-agribusiness-information/244594
- Vajjhala, N.R., Strang, K.D., & Bitrus, N.S. (2020). Contemporary Usage of Farm Management Information Systems in Nigeria. In Yildiz (Ed.), Recent Developments in Individual and Organizational Adoption of ICTs. IGI Publications. Link: https://www.igi-global.com/publish/call-for-papers/call-details/4292
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Vajjhala, N.R. & Strang, K.D. (2022). Impact of Information Communication Technology Strategies on Learning Effectiveness. International Journal of Online Pedagogy and Course Design (IJOPCD). Volume 12, Issue 2. Indexed in SCOPUS, Web of Science Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI), INSPEC, DBLP, and UGC-CARE. Scopus Cite Score - 1.1
- Potluri, R.M. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Risks in Adoption and Implementation of Big Data Analytics: A Case of Indian Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs). International Journal of Risk and Contingency Management (IJRCM) 10(3). IGI Publishers. Indexed in Cabell’s and ACM Digital Library. ISSN: 2160-9624. Link: http://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-risk-contingency-management/53135
- Strang, K.D., Che, F., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Thematic Analysis of Agricultural Government Policy and Operational Problems. Agricultural Research (Springer Journal). Volume 10, Issue 3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40003-021-00588-2. Springer. Indexed in Scopus, SCImago, and Web of Science Emerging Sources Citation Index. Scopus Cite Score - 1.6
- Che, F., Strang, K.D. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Using Experiential Learning to Improve Student Attitude and Learning Quality in Software Engineering Education. International Journal of Innovative Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (IJITLHE). Volume 2, Issue 1. Link: https://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-innovative-teaching-learning/217719
- Che, F., Strang, K.D., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2020). Voice of farmers in the agriculture crisis in North-East Nigeria: Focus group insights from extension workers. International Journal of Development Issues. Volume 19, Issue 1, pp. 43-61. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJDI-08-2019-0136. Emerald Insight. Indexed in Scopus, Cabell’s and Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC), Journal Quality List – C. Won Outstanding Paper in the 2021 Emerald Literati Awards. Scopus CiteScore - 0.9 (2020) and 1.2 (2021).
Strang, K.D. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2020). Predictors of e-service consumption in a highly productive Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa region sample. International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications (IJESMA). Volume 12 Issue 1, pp. 39-56. Link: https://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-services-mobile-applications/1114 . Indexed in Scopus and DBLP. Scopus Cite Score: 1.9.
- Tafa, I. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). An exploratory review of privacy and security issues in the deployment of 5G Networks, The 1st International Conference on Information Technologies and Educational Engineering (ICITEE 2021). 19 - 20 November, 2021, Tirana, Albania. Published in CEUR Workshop Proceedings, ISSN: 1613-0073.
- Sun, Z., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Responsible Big Data Analytics for e-Business Services. The 5th International Conference on Big Data Research (ICBDR 2021). Sep. 25-27. Published by ACM conference proceedings, ISBN: 978-1-4503-8775-0. Indexed by Scopus, EI. Link: http://www.icbdr.org/
- Maa, C.D., Garba, N., Thandekkattu, S.G., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). A Semantic-Based Input Model for Patient Symptoms Elicitation for Breast Cancer Expert System. 2nd International Conference on Intelligent and Cloud Computing (ICICC-2021). 22-23 October 2021. Bhubaneswar, India. Proceedings to be published in Springer Book series Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies [Approved]. The books of this series are submitted to be indexed by SCOPUS, DBLP.
- Imoh, N., Vajjhala, N.R., & Rakshit, S. (2022). Experimental Face Recognition System using Deep Learning Approaches. In: Reddy A.B., Kiranmayee B., Mukkamala R.R., Srujan Raju K. (eds). Proceedings of Second International Conference on Advances in Computer Engineering & Communication Systems (ICACECS 2021), August 13-14, 2021, Hyderabad, India. Proceedings in Springer Algorithms for Intelligent Systems. Indexed: SCOPUS. Link: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-16-7389-4_13#citeas
- Saheed, Y.K., Longe, O.B., Baba, U.A., Rakshit, S., and Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). An Ensemble Learning Approach for Software Defect Prediction in Developing Quality Software Product. In: Singh M., Tyagi V., Gupta P.K., Flusser J., Ören T., Sonawane V.R. (eds) Advances in Computing and Data Sciences. ICACDS 2021. Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 1440. Springer, Cham. ISBN: 978-3-030-81462-5. Link: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-81462-5_29
- Momoh, F., Rakshit, S. & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Exploratory Study of Machine Learning Algorithms in Recommender Systems. 2nd International Conference on Advanced Computing and Applications (ICACA-2021). Advs in Intelligent Syst., Computing, Vol. 1406, Jyotsna Kumar Mandal et al. (Eds): Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Computing Applications, 978-981-16-5206-6, 511538_1_En. Springer. Organised by CSI Kolkata Chapter, India. Link: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811652066
- Biba, M., Vajjhala, N.R., & Rakshit, S. (2021). A State-of-the-Art Survey on Deep Learning Methods and Applications in Bioinformatics. 2nd International Conference on Advanced Computing and Applications (ICACA-2021). Advs in Intelligent Syst., Computing, Vol. 1406, JyotsnaKumar Mandal et al. (Eds): Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Computing Applications, 978-981-16-5206-6, 511538_1_En. Springer. Organised by CSI Kolkata Chapter, India. Link: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811652066
- Strang, K.D., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). Impact of Vocational Motivation for Teaching ICT Online During COVID-19 Pandemic in Sub-Saharan Africa. IST-Africa 2021 (Co-Sponsored by IEEE Education Society, IEEE TEMS, IEEE Africa Council). 10-14 May 2021. Electronic ISSN: 2576-8581, Electronic ISBN:978-1-905824-67-0. p. 1-10. Link: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9576989
- Che, F., Vajjhala, N.R., & Strang, K.D. (2021). Perceived Student Learning, Attitudes and Experiential Learning in Software Engineering Education. V IEEE World Conference on Engineering Education (EDUNINE 2021). March 14 to 17, 2021. Universidad Galileo, Guatemala. Annual conference of the IEEE Education Society organized jointly with COPEC for Region 9 (Latin America). DOI: 10.1109/EDUNINE51952.2021.9429095. ISBN: 978-1-6654-0302-3
- Oshogbunu, M., Vajjhala, N.R., Rakshit, S., & Longe, O.B. (2021). Applying Natural Language Processing Algorithm for Predicting Consumer Product Preferences in Retail Stores. 4th International Conference on Innovative Computing and Communication. February 20-21, 2021, Patna, India. Publisher: Elsevier BV. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3833695
- Garba, N., Rakshit, S., Maa, C.D., & Vajjhala, N.R. (2021). An email content-based insider threat detection model using anomaly detection algorithms. 4th International Conference on Innovative Computing and Communication. February 20-21, 2021, Patna, India. Publisher: Elsevier BV. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3833744
- Senior Member of ACM - Association for Computing Machinery (since 2012). (http://awards.acm.org/homepage.cfm?awd=159 )
- Senior Member of IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (since 2016)
- Editor-in-Chief (EiC), International Journal of Risk and Contingency Management (IJRCM). https://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-risk-contingency-management/53135
- Member of RIMS, The Risk and Insurance Management Society (since 2021).
- Member of PMI – Project Management Institute (since 2015)
- Member of AIS – Association for Information Systems (since 2016)
- Member of AITP – Association for Information Technology Professionals (since 2017)
- Member of IAMCT – International Association of Microsoft Certified Trainers (since 2010)
- Member of ISACA – ISACA Academic Advocate (since 2014)
- Member of AAAI - Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (since 2019)
- Member of EC Council (International Council of E-Commerce Consultants (EC-Council) (since 2019)
- Editorial Board Member - Journal for Information Systems Education, https://jise.org/edteam.html
- Editorial Board Member - International Journal of Sustainable Entrepreneurship and Corporate Social Responsibility (IJSECSR)
- Editorial Board Member - International Journal of Digital Strategy, Governance, and Business Transformation (IJDSGBT)