Malachy I. Okeke
Ph.D., Medical Biology (Virology), University of Tromsø, Norway
Assistant Professor of Biology
Dr. Okeke did his postdoctoral work (2008-2010) in the laboratory of Prof Terje Traavik at GenØK mapping naturally occurring and genetically engineered orthopoxviruses. He served as the chair of the program on Virology, GM Viruses and Vaccines at GenOK-Center for Biosafety Tromsø, Norway (2011-2017) and have lead research projects investigating the efficacy and biosafety of recombinant poxvirus-vectored vaccines against infectious diseases and cancers. He also served as scientific advisor/expert to Norwegian and European Authorities on the Environmental Risk Assessment of virus-vectored vaccines and virus-vectored gene therapy products.
Dr. Okeke has published several papers in international peer reviewed, high impact factor journals including Emerging Infectious Diseases, Viruses, Vaccine, Journal of General Virology and is a reviewer of high impact biomedical journals including Viruses, Vaccines and Computation. His research work has over 600 citations in google scholar. Dr. Okeke have taught courses in different disciplines of biomedical sciences in institutions in Norway and Nigeria and have a record of successful supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
His current research interest is in the development of vaccines against infectious diseases and cancers that are prevalent in Nigeria and Africa. He is also passionate about the consequences of modern biotechnologies (genetic engineering, genome editing and synthetic biology) on human health and the environment as it pertains to biosafety, biosecurity and biodefence.
- BIO 103 - Essentials of Nutrition
- BIO 230 - Molecular Genetics
- NES 342 - Environmental Toxicology
- Recombinant Vaccines
- Ngu, L., Nji, N., Ambada, Ngoh, A. A., Simo, J.L., Okeke, M.I. et. al. (2019). Inflammatory Chemokine Profiles of Four Female Cameroonian HIV Elite Controllers. Journal of Immunology Research and Therapy, 4(1) In Press.
- Lissom, A., Quambo, F. H., Megnekou, R., Okeke, M.I., Ngu, L. N. et al. (2019). Comparative Analysis of Igg Responses to Recombinant Qβ Phage Displayed MSP3 and UB05 in Dual HIV-Malaria Infected Adults Living in areas differing in Malaria Transmission Intensities. J Exp Clin Immunol 4(1), 1-10.
- Waffo. AP et. al (+ 27 co-authors including Okeke M.I.). 2018. Surface Engineering of the RNA Coliphage Q? to Display Plasmodium Falciparum Derived Asexual Blood Stage Antigens UB05 and Merozoite Surface Protein 3. Clinical Microbiology Open Access, 7(4); 314, doi:10.4172/2327-5073.1000314. IF: 1.65
- Okoli, A., Okeke, M.I., Tryland, M and Moens, U. (2018). CRISPR/Cas9 – Advancing Orthopoxvirus Genome Editing for Vaccine and Vector Development. Viruses. January 22, 2018. 10(1), E50; doi: 10.3390/v10010050. 2017 JCR IF: 3.465
- Okeke, M.1., Okoli, A.S., Diaz, D., Offor, C., Oludotun, T.G., Tryland, M., Bøhn, T., and Moens, U. (2017). Hazard Characterization of Modified Vaccinia Virus Ankara Vector: What are the Knowledge Gaps? Viruses. 29 October 2017. 9(11), E318; doi:10.3390/v9110318. 2017 JCR IF: 3.465
- Okeke, M. I., Okoli, A. S., Nilssen, O., Moens, U., Tryland, M., Bøhn, T., and Traavik, T. (2014). Molecular characterization and phylogenetics of Fennoscandian cowpox virus isolates based on the p4c and atip genes. Virology Journal. 2014 Jun 27;11(1):119. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-11-119. 2017 JCR IF: 2.139
- Okeke, M.I., Hansen, H., and Traavik T. (2012). A naturally occurring cowpox virus with an ectromelia virus A-type inclusion protein gene displays atypical A-type inclusions. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 12, 160-168. 2017 JCR IF: 2.885
- Tryland, M., Okeke, M.I., Af Segerstad, C.H., Morner, T., Traavik, T. and Ryser-Degiorgis, M-P. (2011). Orthopoxvirus DNA in Eurasian Lynx, Sweden. Emerg Infect Dis 17, 626-632. 2017 JCR IF: 8.220
- Okeke, M.I., Adekoya, A.O., Moens, U., Tryland, M., Traavik, T. and Nilssen Ø. (2009). Comparative sequence analysis of A-type inclusion (ATI) and P4c proteins of orthopoxviruses that produce typical and atypical ATI phenotypes. Virus Genes 39, 200-209. 2017 JCR IF: 1.431
- Hansen, H., Okeke, M.I., Nilssen, Ø. and Traavik, T. (2009). Comparison and phylogenetic analysis of cowpox viruses isolated from cats and humans in Fennoscandia. Arch Virol 154, 1293-1302. 2017 JCR IF: 2.058
- Okeke, M.1., Nilssen, Ø., Moens, U., Tryland, M. and Traavik, T. (2009). In vitro host range, multiplication and virion forms of recombinant viruses obtained from co-infection in vitro with a vaccinia-vectored influenza vaccine and a naturally occuring cowpox virus isolate. Virology Journal. 2009 May 12;6:55. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-6-55. 2017 JCR IF: 2.139